Why Are Pentax with Prime Selection Grabbing Some of Mirrorless Market?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,035
Like?
Re: Oh you value IQ so little.
In reply to Richard, Aug 14, 2013

Richard wrote:

My question was, if Pentax was great, why isn't it mainstream and a main player in the field of photography.

That answer is simple: towards the end of the 20th century Canon and Nikon achieved market dominance for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with film/sensor size.  In any market the dominant players aren't displaced: they remain dominant until something changes.

That something might be external (like the invention of digital and its effect on the film market) or internal (some sort of corporate stupidity).  Until something like that happens C and N will remain dominant; as long as they do, every other make will remain niche.

All I said was it was possible that because Pentax did not have a full frame camera it was not taken seriously by many photographers including pros.

Obviously anything is possible.  But even if Pentax had three levels of FF bodies and a host of suitable lenses it wouldn't alter the truth of my first paragraph.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow