Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,732Gear list
Like?
Shooting landscapes with the G1-X...
8 months ago

I've had my G1-X for a little while now and have to say that I'm pretty pleased with it. I wanted it as a general lightweight travel option for shooting mostly landscape stuff. I bought a cheap knock off filter adaptor and I've put together a little filter kit ( Soft ND Grads 2/4/8, Hoya circular polarising filter, R72 infrared filter, 110 B&W big stopper and an ND 4 ), spare battery, memory card and cleaning cloth and it all fits in a small Kata lite 431 DL bag. I never see any camera as pocketable, it's the worst place to put any camera IMHO (lint, loose change, keys and cr@p etc) so this setup and camera represents a small, light and very powerful rig. I could also squeeze in my EX-90 speedlite if I want to.
I've been experimenting shooting some landscape stuff with the G1-X and have been very pleased with it's performance. At F8 there's more than enough dof for foreground and distance objects to be nice and sharp. The lens is simply excellent, much better than some seem to think, it performs well throughout the range in my experience. It's as good as any zoom in that range that I've tried and better than most. The articulating LCD is a real boon for tripod and low level work and the liveview/histogram makes getting the correct exposure a cinch. About the only thing I'd like is a wider fov than 28mm but you can't have everything in such a compact package. Ergonomics, focusing and everything else works really well and the files take quite a bit punishment at base ISO. Using ND grads makes dynamic range much less of an issue and the bracketing and timer option is also really nice. Anyway, when I don't want to be lugging my 5D2 about the G1-X makes a brilliant little replacement and IQ is not so far behind the 5D2 that I worry about it. Here are some recent examples shot below, two at F16 to get the shutter speed I wanted (didn't have my full filter kit sorted - doh!) but even though diffraction has softened the images I still liked the results. I'm not sure why this camera isn't more popular, it's stellar IMHO. I guess reviews obsessing over focus speeds and macro performance probably didn't help it and maybe it was overpriced but it's definitely a steal now.

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon PowerShot G1 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow