Costa Rico 2014

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
buratino
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: Costa Rico 2014
In reply to ABA DABA, 11 months ago

ABA DABA wrote:

Planning trip to San Jose in Jan/Feb 2014. We would appreciate any info in where to go, what to see etc. Should we rent a car or go with any tours. Thanks in advance, private messages are OK. Will be using Nikon D-300 suggestions on lenses as well.

I am not sure what your options are there... only San Jose? It's worth as an entry point to Costa Rica, not by itself. The city is pretty strange, often ugly, often beautifully ugly. Until recently it had almost no street designations, so one has to ask for direction.

You do not need a taxi to reach the city from the airport: bus stop is virtually next to to airport, will cost you about 540 colons, and pretty much same time as taxi. Better to exchange dollars to colons not at arrivals, but at departures instead.

I did not have much time in San Jose itself, so I am sure I missed many interesting places. I recommend going around the walls of Children's Museum which looks like Yellow Castle and is a former jail. Barrio Amon  (not sure about spelling) is an interesting area at northern part of the city. Some churches like "Iglesia de Merced" (spelling?) is worth seeing inside and is probably next to a bus terminal to the airport/Alajuela.

You can look for INBIO park, which is like a botanic garden.

You can take a bus for a short trip to Cartago, old Capital of the Costa Rica, which is pretty nice (with nice Cathedrals). On the way there there is also good botanic garden (Orosi (sp?) valley direction?)

It is very easy to reach remote places of Costa Rica from San Jose by public buses: about $11 and 6 hours to Puerto Viejo at Caribbean side, or about 8-10 hours to Puerto Jimenez at Osa peninsula at Pacific side. Probably two hours by bus  to Jaco on Pacific, if it is worth it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow