erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,040Gear list
Like?
Re: Why was it successful?
In reply to windsprite, Aug 14, 2013

windsprite wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Thomas Kolenich wrote:

Eric, two and a half years ago I bought a D3 with 85 F1.4 lens for portraits. Of course the D3 is a monster to handle, but the combo delivers.

Interesting choice. I'm wondering why you didn't go for the D700, which would have been just as good as the D3 in this application, without being a monster to handle. In fact, much the same size as the E5.

It depends. Most people here would be shocked to learn that if you attach a HLD-4 battery grip, as many people do, the E-3/E-5 is virtually identical in size and weight to the D3 ... yet I have never once seen the Oly pro bodies described as "monsters" or anything similar. In addition, the D3 handles much better because it has a high-quality integrated grip, while the Oly one frankly is not very good at all in comparison.

If you put the 35-100 on an Oly pro body with HLD-4, the total result is a little larger and heavier than a 70-200/2.8 on a D3.

OTOH, if you put a battery grip on a D700, then it becomes larger and heavier than a D3 or Oly pro body with HLD-4, though not by a whole lot.

Julie

I was quite interested in the D800 until I actually tried one with a kit of three lenses, grip and flash.  Simply not something I could see myself carrying for most of the walking, hiking and travelling photography that I do.  It is the size and weight of a capably shooting kit that is decisive for me.  That, considered with the ergonomics

An additional aspect of ergonomics is the fact that the bulkiness of a camera is not always just a simply weight and size -as comparisons to the D3's integrated battery grip versus the E-3/5's add-on indicate.  An even better example for us here is the wonderful way the E-1 fits the hand and slips in and out of a camera bag, compared to the not that much larger E3/5.

I've now been using Olympus for forty years and can remember all too well why their greatest success.  This was certainly not the Pen dslrs or any of their P&S cameras. It was the OM, which revolutionized the whole dslr market with a fully functional, much smaller series of 35mmm camera bodies and lenses.

This is the sweet spot that they seem to be, again, aiming for.  They almost hit it with the E-1, but missed it with the IMO much too "bulky" E-3/5 and also with the significantly too small OM-D.  I sincerely hope that they will finally hit it with whatever "pro' camera they come out with.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow