Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ralf B
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,206Gear list
Like?
Re: Mac Mini late 2011 - does not apply to OP question
In reply to elliotn, Aug 14, 2013

elliotn wrote:

Basalite wrote:

elliotn wrote:

Basalite wrote:

elliotn wrote:

I have last year's mac mini (with discreet graphics and 16Gb ram) driving a 27" Eizo. Perfomance in Photoshop CS6 is sluggish (slow screen redraws). I'm not sure whether the current quadcore would be any better. I'm waiting to see if the mini gets an update later this year.

That's surprising. You sure its not due to something else?

I'm fairly sure. When I was testing I did a clean install of OSX and CS6. I tested the ram with Memtest (?)

When I say sluggish, I mean that there's a significant lag when zooming in and out in Photoshop. And also a lag, sometimes of several seconds, when adjusting sliders in ACR. This lag is much reduced if I make the ACR window smaller, hence my feeling that the problems are due to the high resolution 27" display.

Doesn't sound right. I've used the mini with the 27" Thunderbolt Display and Photoshop and never saw what you are describing.

It doesn't feel right. I've tested two different minis (server model and discreet graphics model, both late 2011) with my setup (promise pegasus + eizo 27")

the late 2011 Minis (to be precise: July 2011) have the older "integrated" GPU in the CPU, Intel HD3000. the July 2011 "server" mini had a dedicated GPU, AMD Radeon HD 6630M, but the quad core clocked at only 2 Ghz. The current minis as of October 2012 have the faster Intel HD4000 and the faster CPU / memory architecture. The OP is asking about the current (late 2012) Minis which are significantly faster than the mid 2011.

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow