Nikon 200-400mm f/4 or 300mm f/2.8

Started Aug 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
whoosh1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,056
Like?
Why by close of business today?
In reply to wwickman, Aug 14, 2013

wwickman wrote:

Point is, I cant decide what to do and I have to know by the close of business today.

Wick

Take your time on this if you have the time. Also you may want to go the used route - with slightly used ones and for the exotic telephotos you would need to be patient as there are not that many due to the limited quantities compared to a lens like a 70-200. Example I got an 8 year old but great condition 200 f/2 VR from craigslist for fairly cheap, a refurbished 300 f/2.8 VR II from Adorama's ebay store and an even rarer 500mm f/4 AF-S II (one of the last produced going by the serial number) from KEH labeled EX+. I guess could have done with just the 300 2.8 with a TC14E II & TC 20E III - but I guess I can use them next 20-30 years :-).

I opted for the 500mm f/4 AF-S II over the current VR model as it is a little lighter - and for 500mm I would need a shutter speed around in the range of 1/500 sec (Thom Hogan recommends VR to be turned off if shutter speed is faster than 1/500 sec - http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm). Can be a good option if you need more focal length. Sweet lens - used it some in my Alaska trip that I just returned from - with & without TC 14E II. I had also taken the new 80-400 VR which was used more often especially in situations where the wildlife was not the only focus or weight convenience was a priority. Either 300 2.8, 500 f4 or the new 80-400 are good options - have not really tried the 200-400.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow