How does XF-1 handle bright sunlight + high contrast?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501
Like?
Re: Where you can see X10 results (similar)
In reply to CAcreeks, 11 months ago

CAcreeks wrote:

The XF1 has the same sensor as the X10

I am not certain that it does; more precisely, I am not certain that one can refer to "the" sensor of the X10. We know -- Fujifilm stated quite explicitly -- that the original sensor of the X10 was a frontside illuminated CMOS 2/3" sensor, and that at least some samples of that sensor exhibited the notorious "white orb" issue; we also know that Fujifilm produced later X10 units that incorporated a revised 2/3" CMOS sensor.

We also know that the XF1 incorporates a 2/3" CMOS sensor, and that Fujifilm's specific product page for the XF1, in its discussion of the CMOS sensor of the XF1, links to another Fujifilm page that touts and extols backside illumination (BSI) and calls BSI a "major breakthrough" in CMOS technology.  If I had to bet the mortgage on it, I probably would guess that the sensors of both the later-production X10s and all of the XF1s have BSI CMOS technology, but Fujifilm was explicit when the X10 was first introduced that the (then) X10 sensor was frontside illuminated.

but its lens is not as good.

You went on a camping trip last week and therefore missed my response when you made a similar reference a week ago; here was my posting then:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51957879

As I have noted before, photographers -- more than one photographer -- who have used both the X10 and the XF1 extensively seem to agree that, for image quality, the XF1 is superior to the X10 at its long end (where it is a stop and a half slower than the X10 at its long end), while the X10 is superior to the XF1 at its short end (where it is a third of a stop slower than the XF1 at its short end).  I have not used an X10, and therefore cannot make a personal comparison.

What is clear (to me) is that in DPReview's comparison widget, the images for the XF1 (which -- unlike the X10 -- has never been fully reviewed by DPReview on its own, but only "reviewed" as a throw-in to a hastily assembled and sloppy group review published last December) were taken either with manual focus not focused, or with a unit that had defective autofocus.  The results are anomalous:  at this page and this page, for instance, the Fujifilm XF1 rendition (when selected) of the tree and road of the Bailey's Irish Cream label shows much worse rendition at ISO 200 developed from RAW than at ISO 3200 in-camera JPEG.  I count that result as the thirteenth chiming of a crazy clock that is not only incredible of itself, but casts doubt on all of the twelve strikes that have rung before.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow