Why Are Pentax with Prime Selection Grabbing Some of Mirrorless Market?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
Re: Cherry picking
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Aug 13, 2013

Alex Sarbu wrote:

I would agree with you. I don't think they are behind in tech. In camera IS is a pretty modern concept neither Canon or Nikon have. Thus my question as to why they are not mainstream

It has nothing to do with their current products.

Their current products are still niche market, so it has everything to do with current products.

Except they are behind like you said and have no FF, and do not have a lens selection like Canon like I said. I agree, I don't like the big pro bodys but Canon and Nikon offer semi pro like the 5d3,7d or the D800,D300.

How many people are actually buying FF cameras, compared with the APS-C user base? Most would be perfectly happy with an APS-C only system...

The only reason people do not buy FF is because of cost. It is the reason APS-c exists. FF back when it first came out was too expensive for the average person. As the price drops more people are getting FF, it is the natural progression, it would not exist if the price of a FF cameras were $1500

Since the market for sub-$1500 IL cameras is huge compared with the more expensive ones, you should rethink this.

Regardless of what you think, as prices come down on FF, more people will buy them.

Yet some Canikon users are overusing the "upgrade path" cliche to scare people away from buying Pentax.

I think as the price of FF comes down, it becomes and even more persuasive argument

Another cliche; the FF prices are pretty much constant since the A850.

Not true, they will continue to fall as the price of the sensor falls.

Indeed, one should think if he would want to buy a FF kit in the future and if so, avoiding Pentax would be a rational choice (for now). But most of the times, the answer is no.

Right now the D600 is $1999. If it dropped to $1499, why would anyone consider an APS-C. Unless they are entry level wanting a Rebel 650 which is at 700 dollars with a lens. It was not long ago that lowest priced FF DSLRs were $3300 the price of the original 5d.

Ifit does. Until then, it's all talk

As I said, it is getting lower all the time. Your assumption is it will not get cheaper, mine is that it will. A good reason to buy FF lenses.

Most people are not willing (or able) to spend that much only on the camera. Of course, I would be happy to have a K-5-class FF camera for $1500 (if this price point will be reached, Pentax surely will have FF products - to protect their margins)

If this were true, then Pentax would outsell Canon and Nikon, but it does not, it is still niche market and not main stream.

Cherry picking, again? My turn: I want a stabilized 35mm lens, not extremely fast (I'm not into paper thin DOF)

You cherry pick because narrow DOF does not appeal to you, but that is one of the main reasons for fast glass, it is you who cherry pick.

I am glad you are happy to buy a niche market system. I am happy to buy pro level stuff that comes from Canon and Nikon. Neither of us have the masses mentality and neither of us are going to buy low end stuff the masses do.

Canon an Nikon will continue to lead and Pentax will continue to be niche market until it decides to get a FF and pro level lenses and sell low end, it will never leave niche market. But perhaps being a player in the camera market is what they are after, if they are content with their current standings then you should be happy they make products you like and buy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow