How does XF-1 handle bright sunlight + high contrast?

Started Aug 13, 2013 | Questions thread
prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505
Like?
Re: How does XF-1 handle bright sunlight + high contrast?
In reply to BorisK1, Aug 13, 2013

BorisK1 wrote:

I'm getting ready for a trip to the mountains, and my compact (Olympus TG-1) struggles in bright sunshine, when there's overwhelming contrast. I will be shooting mostly people (kids) and some landscapes. How does XF-1 handle this scenario? Does the high-dynamic-range EXR-DR handle it, or is it only for low-light situations?

Usually quite well. Here is a photo taken at noon at the summit of a mountain* on the day after the Summer Solstice. *Here in the West, we hesitate to call a 1,000 meter elevation a "mountain," but Neahkanie Mountain, north of Manzanita, Oregon, is the tallest summit on the Oregon Coast.

P mode, M size, ISO Auto400, DR400. Some overexposure on the backs of the fingers.

Other times, the results have been less satisfactory; and I am still sorting out why times like this occur (see the logs in the upper right):

P mode, M size, ISO Auto400, DR400. (Bear Lake, Mark O. Hatfield Wilderness.)

On balance, though, more good than bad:

P mode, M size, ISO Auto400, DR400. (City park in "downtown" Llanes, on the Bay of Biscay.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow