Started Aug 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,849Gear list
Like?
Program Mode On Fuji Cameras ...
Aug 13, 2013

... When I publish settings for any of my given Fuji cameras, I always state that I use P mode. This is actually Program AE mode.

Occasionally, folk ask why use P mode or what is P mode ?

Some explanation.

Among other settings, Fuji cameras typically have P, S, A, M on the command dial. Incidentally, AE stands for automatic exposure.

P = Program AE

S = Shutter Priority AE

A = Aperture Priority AE

M = Manual

Shutter Prioity AE

This setting allows you to set a specific shutter speed and the camera will then assign an aperture to suit. This will be limited by the camera ISO setting.

Aperture Prioity AE

This setting allows you to set a specific aperture and the camera will then assign a shutter speed to suit. This will be limited by the camera ISO setting.

Manual

This setting allows you to set both specific shutter and aperture settings.

Program AE

Why is this different ? Well, Program AE will set the shutter and aperture automatically BUT you can also 'shift' the settings.

To quote the manual of one of my Fuji cameras :

“ … In this mode, you choose both shutter and aperture. If desired, the exposure can be altered from the value suggested by the camera … '

In other words, you can adjust the values to achieve a different aperture or shutter value. Next time you use P mode try adjusting the shutter/aperture values to suit what you wish to achieve.

Below is an image copied from one of my Fuji manuals but, in effect, they all say the same.

(Not used with permission but I hope Fuji understand that this is used in an educational context)

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow