Why Are Pentax with Prime Selection Grabbing Some of Mirrorless Market?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,168Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh you value IQ so little.
In reply to Richard, Aug 13, 2013

Richard wrote:

The Penax is 20mm shorter, 10mm narrower and 100 grams lighter. You would choose inferior IQ, DOF control, better high ISO noise over a small size difference. I think that is crazy.

Now if you told me you bought the Pentax because it was half the price of the FF, I would say ok, I can see the trade off but if the units are near the same price I think a tiny difference in size like the one in your link is not a good reason to choose it.

If you showed me a pockatable camera, I could see why you might want that over a FF too. That is not crazy.

audiobomber wrote:

Richard wrote:

Right now the D600 is $1999. If it dropped to $1499, why would anyone consider an APS-C. Unless they are entry level wanting a Rebel 650 which is at 700 dollars with a lens. It was not long ago that lowest priced FF DSLRs were $3300 the price of the original 5d.

Here's a reason:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#373,378

-- hide signature --

Dan

You are using size as your only point

http://j.mp/16NPNKF

The canon is almost half the weight, much smaller. So obviously it must be the better choice using your logic right?

I said size is one reason. After all, size is the only raison d'etre for MILC to even exist. The difference in size for the bodies I linked is huge. The K-5 II has comparable or better features (better sealing, metal body) and a much lower price than even cheap FF's. Don't pretend the D600 ($2000) is near the cost of K-5 II ($1000) or D7100 ($1200).

I don't want a FF DSLR. All cameras are compromises. APS-C is the sweet spot for me, in cost, features and performance.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow