Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,968Gear list
Like?
Re: Why was it successful?
In reply to noirdesir, Aug 13, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

It is an interesting point to ponder - why the OMD was such a success?

1. Compact m43 with EVF, I cannot underline this enough, an EVF lets you do a lot of things a back display doesn't, and then it was one of the better EVFs (Sony's had more pixels but Olympus' was had a faster/same refresh rate). People had clamoured for years to get an EVF an a compact camera but the OM-D was just about small enough. And every wish list for a new Panasonic GX model included an EVF.
  2. Apparently one of the best if not the best IBIS and a clear jump in IQ with the new sensor, bringing m43 up to best sensors (in terms of performance per area).
  3. It just look so cute.

Sure, it had to have enough manual controls but that was available from a number of cameras. As an extension of the EVF, it was the first Olympus m43 (and thus the first IBIS m43) which allowed a DSLR like operation (eg, handgrips).

My best guess is - the OMD was the first serious mirrorless body: weathersealing, a battery grip, plus high end sensor and new IBIS. No mirrorless body before had the combination of features that are normally found on enthusiast grade DSLR's. It was the first one where the manufacturer appeared to be taking the concept of mirrorless seriously - this isn't just a glorified P&S any more. I believe a lot of enthusiasts like the idea of small but excellent, but were put off by the lack of essential features of previous mirrorless bodies.

It was the combination of great functionality (compact, EVF), clear jumps in technology improvement (sensor, IBIS, refresh rate/AF speed), and a very appealing exterior.

I completely agree. Most of those who decry the OM-D as a "toy" would be well-served by actually giving it a fair trial.  Put one and a couple of its little lenses in a small bag or purse (or "man-purse 8-) and simply keep it with you for a day and an evening, shooting when you feel like it.  I have found the number of good images - including many from times and situations in which I would usually not have or would/could not use a camera a revelation.  There is a reason that Cartier-Bresson and Smith used Leicas. small, light, unobtrusive and quiet, but high quality.  The OMD comes closer than any other camera I've ever used.

AND I can even slip in the FT Panaleica 25f1,4, which works quite well, with the adapter (as do the FE or 11-22 ...or even the 7-14, the honkin big 150f2 and the 70-300, in a slightly larger bag.

-
erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow