Nikon 200-400mm f/4 or 300mm f/2.8

Started Aug 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,366Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 200-400mm f/4 or 300mm f/2.8
In reply to wwickman, Aug 13, 2013

I am not in this league for lenses (the most expensive lens I have is about $1200), but in my mind the question boils down to zoom vs prime. Everyone has an opinion on this, so you really need to look inwards. Personally, while I do enjoy primes for certain things, the sort of photos that I take with long lenses (mostly wildlife) allow much more flexibility with a zoom. (I have tried a number of lenses, both prime and zoom, including the very highly regarded 300/4, before arriving at this conclusion). So, if it were me, I would pick the zoom.

For your needs, I assume sports would also benefit from a zoom; I am not sure what surveillance photography entails, so I cannot comment on that.

As for a bit of sharpness falloff at the ends of the zoom, I wouldn't worry about it.  In real world shooting it shouldn't matter, IMHO.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow