Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
elliotn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,049
Like?
Re: Mac Mini achilles heel
In reply to bbpp, Aug 13, 2013

bbpp wrote:

elliotn wrote:

bbpp wrote:

elliotn wrote:

I have last year's mac mini (with discreet graphics and 16Gb ram) driving a 27" Eizo. Perfomance in Photoshop CS6 is sluggish (slow screen redraws). I'm not sure whether the current quadcore would be any better. I'm waiting to see if the mini gets an update later this year.

I'm the person who posted the original question about the Mac Mini.

I'm not as "technology savvy" as most of you when it comes to computers (thanks for all of your input so far) but more so than the average layperson (and I'm a very experienced photographer.) There seems to be some waffling back and forth now in the discussion so I just want to confirm:

My intention was to purchase a current Mac Mini to run CS6 and Lightroom mostly, and connect to my Eizo monitor, and I would upgrade to Crucial 16GB of ram. I store all of my image files on external backup hard drives (perhaps upgrading to Drobos in the near future). And, after weeding thru the string of posts here, perhaps also upgrade to a Fusion drive for the Mac Mini.

That being said, is the general consensus here then that my above configuration of a current Mac Mini would be powerful enough for my purposes?

Thanks again.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. How big is your Eizo? My mini is sluggish because it struggles to drive a 27" monitor. Like you I have all my images on an external drive (Promise Pegasus). In that scenario I'd recommend the SSD upgrade rather than the fusion option - 256Gb will be fine for system, apps and some working files.

Apple have a relaxed return policy, so the best thing to do is to buy it, test it with your workflow, and return it if not happy.

Sadly I have a smaller Eizo (22"). Sad only because I wish it were larger. (Fabulous monitor).

Are you suggesting the SSD because it will be even faster than the Fusion Drive?

Thanks again.

I think the mini will be fine with a 22" display.

SSD because I like to keep things simple. I don't know if it's faster than the Fusion Drive, but I suspect it might be. Also the fans ramp  significantly in my mini (which has a regular HD) when doing heavy duty tasks (batch processing raws). Not really a problem, but I find the noise distracting. Maybe an SSD mini runs quieter than a Fusion Drive mini?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow