Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: iMac Set Up for Video and Photography
In reply to MtnGoatJoe, 11 months ago

MtnGoatJoe wrote:

uniball wrote:

I used to do video, my son, when he decides to work, still does it professionally. Throw as much CPU as possible at it. For many tasks, it will make a difference. You're dealing with processes that will max all cores quite easily if allowed to. I would assume with a Fusion drive Apple's software will take care of the location of video files. Though dated info and I don't know if the Fusion drive is different, keep the video files off the ssd. The hdd, once spooled, will out run it. If you want to spend the bucks, an external TBolt drive.

Unless you're setting up a raid drive, or using a super high-end drive, a USB 3 hard drive will be 99% as fast as Thunderbolt while likely being cheaper.

That's mostly correct for magnetic drives but certainly not for SSDs.

Thunderbolt is a great technology, but it's just not that useful for a single drive.

Of course it is. For $80 I can connect a standard 2.5" SSD to a Thunderbolt adapter from Seagate and get SATA 3 SSD speeds externally, something that USB 3 in practice does not deliver.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow