inserts or a bag for a DSLR and one lens (plus other things)

Started Aug 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,100Gear list
Like?
inserts or a bag for a DSLR and one lens (plus other things)
Aug 13, 2013

I just ordered a my first DSLR (a Pentax K-30) and, while I have several bags that will hold it none of them were intended as camera bags.  I know that several camera bag manufacturers make bag systems that use removable inserts for internal configuration-- are any of them suitable for independent use?  Could I buy just an insert and use it to convert one of my existing bags into a camera bag, permanently or temporarily?

Of course there is always the option of buying a new bag. (Twist my arm, I love bags.)  However, I have some preferences that I don't seem to be able to easily meet with the bags I've found in my research. I prefer a shoulder bag to a backpack, but it must have a long strap for cross body carry-- I'm fairly tall and not the thinnest person in the world and I like to carry my bag low, against my hip or even behind my hip, rather than up under my arm. (Need to keep my hands and arms free to handle dogs at least some of the time.)

I would not be carrying a large kit--just my K-30 on a shoulder strap, with one lens on it and maybe very occasionally a second lens in a pouch.  However, the bag must have room for other things: an 8 inch tablet computer, a small sketchbook, a pencil case,  a small case for tools and other personal necessities, a zipper pouch of charging gear, etc.  And of course the camera will have its own luggage- a case for of cleaning supplies, spare battery, cards, etc. Some of this stuff could go in pockets if necessary.

Otherwise, the bag needs to have a fairly long cover flap, be secured by physical connections (straps with metal or nylon clips) rather than just velcro (the yardcoyote hates velcro) and above all, not be black or grey. No black bags, no grey bags, and nothing that just screams "I am a camera bag".

I am looking at various Domke satchels in the F series. They have a nice low tech vibe and come in colors.  Would one of these work for me?  Or can you offer other recommendations?

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow