Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,166Gear list
Like?
What price will the mass market bare?
In reply to erichK, Aug 13, 2013

erichK wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

Olympus is about to find out how much camera enthusiasts are willing to pay for it's m4/3 system with m4/3 lenses.

Watanabe, especially, emphasized that the OM-D was *not* the pro body that Olympus is working on to such an extent - even going so far as to minimize the "pro" qualities of the OMD  - that we clearly should not be basing the pricing for such a new camera on either the OMD or its brethren.

Hi Erick,

You can't compare an OM-D to a $5k FF canikon like the D800, 5DmkIII, 1D or D4 just because it's weather-proof. There's no room at the top for any of the MILC.

I appreciate your reminding us all of what Watanabe said in February. I still believe it's true in spite of all the Rumors and speculation from people here. If the OM-D is not that camera then the pricing of an OM-D has nothing to do with the price of the next Pro E-x.

The features that you and a few m4/3 adopters who used to shoot with an E-x and still have HG and SHG 4/3 lenses are willing to pay for in the next OM-D to get it up to the level of an E-5 (an E-5 with a better sensor) does not have any bearing on what they can sell an OM-D upgrade for to the majority of enthusiasts who buy MILC. It's all about what the market can bare (or bear, grrr). Olympus must compete with these other MILC systems in the same mass marketplace.

What the E-1 sold for in 2003 when other cameras were equally expensive has nothing to do with prices today. What did the E-10 & E-20 sell for? My Camedia C-8080 originally sold for ~ $1000. You wouldn't pay $2600 for an E-1 today. Until recently people would buy an E-5 for $1700 though.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow