Started Aug 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wwickman
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Nikon 200-400mm f/4 or 300mm f/2.8
Aug 13, 2013

This is my first post but I've been reading the forum for years.

I've got a rather good dilemma on my hands and would like your advise/opinion.  I have to purchase either the 200mm-400mm f4 or the 300mm 2.8 vrII and a teleconvertor.  The lens will be mounted to a D600.

I shoot a lot of surveillance photography a well as ice hockey and lacrosse.  I've shot almost everything I needed to this point with the 70-200 vrII with good success but its no longer quiet enough reach.  A lot of my photos were taken on an older D90 body.  Having just recently moved to the FX D600, I need a longer focal length.  I'd love the 400mm f2.8, but that is jut a bit outside of my budget.

Ive read the discussions of the 200-400 being soft wide open at 400mm which is making me a bit gun shy.  Shooting both surveillance and ice hockey I tend to shoot wide open often.  I figure if I do the 300mm with a teleconvertor I would have a similar focal length and f-stop without the zoom capability.  The zoom capability was attractive to me as it works well for a lot of what I shoot but I see so many people shooting the longer primes, it makes me wonder what I hold do.

Point is, I cant decide what to do and I have to know by the close of business today.  Any suggestions on the 200-400 vs the 300?  Also, if you were to choose the 300mm, which teleconvertor would you use?

Thanks for you suggestions,

Wick

Nikon D600 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow