I'm re-thinking how I use my Q - suggestions welcome!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,575Gear list
Like?
I'm re-thinking how I use my Q - suggestions welcome!
8 months ago

I bought my Q in November 2011. I've been mildly dissatisfied with it, and I haven't known whether to take it seriously.

I think the reason is that my main camera is a top-end K-mount camera, and I have been thinking of my Q as a sort of small, light-weight, version of this! That is silly - good as it is, if I keep comparing it with my K-5IIs, my Q will always appear deficient.

What I need to do is think of my Q as something totally different. Probably as a simple-to-use point & shoot that happens to have some aspects that raise its image quality above other point & shoots. My problem is that I have never used a point & shoot digital camera, and haven't studied the Q's point & shoot capability. I just don't know how best to set it up so that I can then forget virtually all the controls and just get on with taking photos with minimum effort and delay. (And maximum fun!)

I'm sure everything I need to know has already been written, if only I knew what to search for. I would be grateful for links, etc.

One "constraint": I intend to continue to use DNG. All my photos get imported into Lightroom, and I already have a preset for the Q. I can add more. I expect that using DNG instead of JPEG can actually make life simpler when shooting - I can simplify things and recover later.

(I may buy a Q7 and/or 06 Telephoto Zoom. I don't intend to switch to a different system. I'm prepared to invest in post-processing time and new equipment in order to simplify the shooting yet still get good quality images. But not A3+ or A3 prints to be judged; just web galleries and perhaps A4 prints that can be handed round to less critical people).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +21 more
Pentax Q
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow