ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Haelixx
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Picasa Web Albums photo quality or replacement
8 months ago

Hi everyone,

So I have been using Picasa Web Albums for  years to share photo albums. I especially like their slideshow feature and the "limited with link" privacy setting.

A couple of months ago I noticed they began to tamper with photos quality. I hate this because I post-process with care in order to get the most of my photos and I want them unchanged.

I did a lot of experiments regarding the way they are uploaded and shown. I tried the web-based uploader, other third party uploaders & plugins and their own Picasa 3.9 for Windows. I uploaded at "Original Size" and tried every setting in order to preserve original quality but the outcome is the same: no matter how you do it, the JPEG's are re-saved, with an obvious quality loss in smooth gradients such as clear skies, or in shadows. It is almost unbelievable that a photography dedicated app provides no way to keep your photos intact. So, I am looking for a replacement web album-type app.

I hear that Picasa is being phased out so I was wondering how you fellows feel about Google plus, does it suffer of this problem. Flickr in my opinion is more oriented towards art, and I have a dedicated hand-made website for selected photos. I am looking for something to share the bulk such as trips with friends etc. Any suggestions? Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow