FZ250 in a few weeks?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,391Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ250 in a few weeks?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, 11 months ago

IMHO not a chance. Panasonic overstretched the ability of the FZ200 and must reign it in or damage severely its 4/3" range.

Panasonic killed off the FZ50 for the same reason, with them and 'experts' citing all sorts of reasons.

Basically you can't keep the constant aperture AND have the widest ranging zoom on the market. The FZ200 could not be changed to compete further.

In the many times I have started a thread saying to Panasonic "Bring back the FZ50", someone always replies to the thread along the lines of 'I totally agree John, on with a 28 to 500 lens'. Immediately it isn't an FZ50 replacement then.

A correct replacement to either the FZ50 or the FZ200 is one that improves totally on the principle redeeming features of the design. Panasonic doesn't do that so it pays the ultimate price of being rendered an also ran in the camera world.

Consider this:

The nearest Panasonic can get to an FZ50 at present is a GH3 with a 14-140 lens attached. Immediately, buying a Canon D60 with 18-200 is a better option.

Only by being lighter, smaller, quieter, more discrete and be ergonomically smaller form from 35mm equiv through to 420mm equiv can the FZ50 still compete against its modern equivalent.

Yet if Pansonic did NO MORE than rerelease the FZ50 with a slightly bigger screen, FZ200 EVF, LX7 sensor and modern processing, it would immediately offer a distinct advantage over not only that Canon, but a great many other cameras also. It is the fact that so many people leap in and decree that it will never happen, that we don't get the useful cameras we desire. I am currently carrying that FZ50 around on holiday with no bag or strap, just my fingers hooked under that grip as it hangs on its side. What other camera can I do that with? None.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow