Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,040Gear list
Like?
Re: Why was it successful?
In reply to Haider, Aug 12, 2013

Haider wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

My best guess is - the OMD was the first serious mirrorless body: weathersealing, a battery grip, plus high end sensor and new IBIS. No mirrorless body before had the combination of features that are normally found on enthusiast grade DSLR's. It was the first one where the manufacturer appeared to be taking the concept of mirrorless seriously - this isn't just a glorified P&S any more. I believe a lot of enthusiasts like the idea of small but excellent, but were put off by the lack of essential features of previous mirrorless bodies.

This tells me that there is a demand for high end micro/mirrorless, despite what the pundits are trying to make out of short term shipment numbers.

Why I tend to be so bullish on an OMD-Pro that can use the HG and SHG glass - it makes for a very nice dual purpose system. With the AF fixed, an OMD can rival the high end APS DSLR's, even best them with ZD glass out front. I see why the Nikon and Pentax people were raving about PP headroom all these years. Well, we have that now, and without giving up our ZD lenses.

Here's your cake - chow down.

But, unlike the best APS DSLR's, one can take off the grip, put on MZD primes, and the system shrinks to a very small size, without losing any IQ - just the zoom range. It's not just 'small size', the OMD with a small prime like the 45 1.8 is also very slender, about as thick as a C/N DSLR with no lens.

So I'm headed out the door to go do something... I no longer think: ah, I don't feel like dragging the camera bag along, it will just get in the way. I now think: I don't feel like dragging the ZD lenses along, let's take the grip off and bring a prime or two. It's so unobtrusive in that form that you just don't notice it the way you would a larger setup.

I think you make a lot of sense. Oly has to get in the mind-set as pro MILC manufacturer. The only issue I see is those big telephotos on an EM-X size body are not so balanced. Even the f2 Zuiko zooms on E-520 is big lens.

The OM-D really is too small to take on the really big boys (not so much the D4 and Mk1 monsters, but mainly the D800 and 5D bodies which many pros actually use). The OM-D is usable with even quite large lenses with a bit of adjustment, but the controls becomes almost impossible to use with gloves and are a struggle for some with large hands. it is indeed difficult to deal with such issues - too small buttons with too short a "throw" too close together on such small camera bodies.

The Pen 5, which I've only handled briefly, does make seem to make some innovative attempts in this regard. but omething closer to the actual OM's or -dare I say it - the E-1 would probably be ideal here. Especially if it is accompanied by further OM-D type or even weatherproofed Pen "second bodies".

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow