FZ250 in a few weeks?

Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,994Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ250 in a few weeks?
In reply to Holmes375, Aug 12, 2013

I think Panasonic realizes there are more potential buyers in the sub-$400 price range than the $600 range, so they introduced a camera primarily to compete effectively with the Canon SX50 and its replacement.

Some people who would willingly pay $600-700 for a first-class, state-of-the-art superzoom will pick up the FZ70 for its extra reach and still keep their FZ200 because it will be a classic. Right now, I don't see Panasonic upgrading the FZ200 for fear of cannibalizing sales of the FZ70.

I've waffled on this over the past few weeks, but it makes sense in business terms. Panasonic is more interested in moving camera bodies off the shelf than in pleasing its enthusiast followers. That's a bit sad since these are the very people who have helped to move Panasonic as a  manufacturer of digital cameras into competition with Canon, which probably ranks #1 in unit sales.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow