If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
docvale
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Re: If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Aug 12, 2013

Since I haven't read the entire thread, I apologize whether my considerations have already been discussed by other members. Anyway, here there's my perspective.

I'd start with a big IF.... IF the FF Nex is going to be as the rumors say or not. If yes (slightly larger than the Nex7, IBIS, working well with rangefinder lenses - including WA - around $3k for the body), I think it would do nothing to the Fuji X market, but it would do something to the Leica M body market.

It wouldn't harm the X platform since it'd be on another category, price-wise and usage-wise. At the launch, even if supported by 2 Zeiss lenses (as another rumors says), the collection of FF e-mount compatible lens would be just made of manual focus ones (Samyang, SLR Magic and so on). A nice arsenal, but not sufficient to a AF user.

If the FF AF lens crowd would grow rapidly (i.e., exciting roadmap announced with the camera body), it would be successful also if the performance with WA rangefinder lenses were not at Leica level.

Finally, Fuji X cameras use Sony sensors. I would expect Fuji to jump on the train quite rapidly.

docvale's gear list:docvale's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow