On the apparent upcoming high end OMD that will "dub" as the 4/3rds hybrid

Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Haider
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?
Re: Why was it successful?
In reply to TrapperJohn, Aug 12, 2013

TrapperJohn wrote:

It is an interesting point to ponder - why the OMD was such a success? On back order for several months after it was introduced, still on the DPR top ten clicked list, over a year and a half after it was first announced. Most FF DSLR's can't boast that. It's the one that serious enthusiasts tend to choose, when adding to their current setup. What set it apart from previous M43 bodies?

Some commonly cited reasons tend to ring a bit hollow: retro look (so were the Pens), 5 axis IBIS (nice, but not a game changer), the more conventional 'dslr look' (so were the G and GH)... none of those can really account for the level of interest that no previous M43 body, or no previous mirrorless body got. Not NEX7, not XE1, though both of those are excellent platforms. Something got the enthusiast's attention with the OMD.

My best guess is - the OMD was the first serious mirrorless body: weathersealing, a battery grip, plus high end sensor and new IBIS. No mirrorless body before had the combination of features that are normally found on enthusiast grade DSLR's. It was the first one where the manufacturer appeared to be taking the concept of mirrorless seriously - this isn't just a glorified P&S any more. I believe a lot of enthusiasts like the idea of small but excellent, but were put off by the lack of essential features of previous mirrorless bodies.

This tells me that there is a demand for high end micro/mirrorless, despite what the pundits are trying to make out of short term shipment numbers.

Why I tend to be so bullish on an OMD-Pro that can use the HG and SHG glass - it makes for a very nice dual purpose system. With the AF fixed, an OMD can rival the high end APS DSLR's, even best them with ZD glass out front. I see why the Nikon and Pentax people were raving about PP headroom all these years. Well, we have that now, and without giving up our ZD lenses.

Here's your cake - chow down.

But, unlike the best APS DSLR's, one can take off the grip, put on MZD primes, and the system shrinks to a very small size, without losing any IQ - just the zoom range. It's not just 'small size', the OMD with a small prime like the 45 1.8 is also very slender, about as thick as a C/N DSLR with no lens.

So I'm headed out the door to go do something... I no longer think: ah, I don't feel like dragging the camera bag along, it will just get in the way. I now think: I don't feel like dragging the ZD lenses along, let's take the grip off and bring a prime or two. It's so unobtrusive in that form that you just don't notice it the way you would a larger setup.

I think you make a lot of sense. Oly has to get in the mind-set as pro MILC manufacturer.  The only issue I see is those big telephotos on an EM-X size body are not so balanced. Even the f2 Zuiko zooms on E-520 is big lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow