On the apparent upcoming high end OMD that will "dub" as the 4/3rds hybrid

Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,032
Like?
Re: On the apparent upcoming high end OMD that will "dub" as the 4/3rds hybrid
In reply to Raist3d, Aug 12, 2013

Raist3d wrote:

So looks like this camera will be at least $1,500 USD. Sounds reasonable if positioned to the high end. This is the camera that will apparently use all 4/3rd lenses very well, with some adapter or the camera body will just support some sort of conversion/whatever.

I am already seeing "oh but $1,500 is too expensive! blah blah blah" The reality is that a camera at that caliber *IS* expensive. It amazes me how there are so many "somethings for nothings" mentality. That this camera will use 4/3rd lenses well is Olympus' gift to the 4/3rds users doing good legacy support in a world where they are financially constrained.

In other words, this is the best they can do.

I do have my reservations on going high end and price bracket with the OMD but not because I think the camera with what it has it's at a bad price, but because it starts looking a bit like competing vs Canikon again. I am beginning to think the direction m4/3rds should love (which means Olympus digital cameras) is Pen.

Keep 'em small, put a built in EVF, offer a weather sealed model.

I think Olympus will see the 'OM-D' gambit as having been very successful, and will be loath to abandon it, and I think they are justified in thinking that. Although the link to the old 'OM' cameras is entirely spurious, it has worked very well - just think how many owners insist that their camera is an 'OMD', not an 'E-M5', and if the new camera is, say, an 'E-M7' they will start calling them the 'OM-D5' and 'OM-D7'. So, Olympus needs a high end model to be seen as a serious contender, and given the recent model history, that high end model is bound to be an 'OMD' (and have a $1500+ price, not credible without). Given the clues given already about use of FT lenses, and that it needs genuine high frame rate ability (with VF and AF) to compete then it's a fairly safe bet that the new technology introduced will be image sensor PDAF, which should allow both things. Probably that technology won't stick at the top end and you will see Pens with this capability sooner rather than later.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow