Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,872
Like?
Re: More than necessary...
In reply to technotic, Aug 12, 2013

technotic wrote:

I was all set to get a Mac Mini from an Apple Store but I tried one and it seemed very sluggish running Aperture. It was the 2.3GHz model with 4GB RAM and 1TB HD. It was connected to the 27" Cinema display. I tested it on a sample image the Apple Store has in Aperture. I was shocked how slow it appeared to be. I tried the same image on the i5 21" iMac and it was much faster. Even the 4GB 13" MacBook Air was faster

That 21" iMac probably had 8 GB of RAM.  Assuming that it did not have a Fusion Drive upgrade or SSD upgrade, the HDDs were comparable (5400 RPM), but extra RAM could make some difference in avoiding paging (or in containing cached copies of parts of Aperture and the test image if others had been playing with them on that computer before).

The Air, like the Mini, only had 4 GB of RAM.  But the Air had a PCI-E SSD, while the Mini only had a 5400 RPM HDD.  Your tests ("how long does it take to open Aperture / to open an image?") were both essentially drive speed tests, so it is no wonder that the Air did well on those.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow