If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616Gear list
Like?
Re: If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Aug 12, 2013

I think that a Sony NEX FF would affect Fuji sales, but not emphatically if the price is as high as I think it will be (around $3K). If it's any good, it might have more of an effect on Leica! I'm one potential buyer who's waiting to see what Sony's FF looks like, and judging by other posts, I'm not alone.......

The Fuji XPro1 is undoubtedly a premium product but it isn't in that price league. Nevertheless, there will be some buyers who would both prefer FF and have the ability to afford it. Some key and as yet unknown factors are the design of the camera and the lens options that go with it. Obviously it has to appeal to an individual buyer as well as be affordable, and the lens system has to meet their needs.

I suspect that the same market forces that operate with DSLRs to push mpx and sensor size upward will operate in the mirror-less market. If the Sony camera sells well, I suspect Fuji will respond. We already know that they are considering an FF development. It looks from all the conjecture like Sony will be first. Fuji will watch and wait, but if it's good business, you can bet your boots they'll respond with their own model. That may not happen in the current economic situation.

BTW, would people please stop saying that all FF cameras are bigger and that all FF lenses are bigger. - It's getting like some sort of religion here in DPR despite all evidence to the contrary. It's simply not true all the time. The APSC X Pro1 is bigger (wider and higher) than a FF Leica. And there many FF lenses out there that are no bigger (and some are smaller) than similar APSC lenses. And that includes some AF lenses of reasonable speed - eg the Contax G lenses. Just consign the 'FF is bigger' mantra to the bin, at least if you're talking bodies and prime mirror-less lenses. It's all a matter of design. I acknowledge that fast 24-70 & 70-200 zooms and very long FF tele lenses are big, but if you're planning to use them, you're better off with a DSLR anyway.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow