Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
rogatsby
Regular MemberPosts: 385Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report
In reply to PIngp0NGMW, 8 months ago

PIngp0NGMW wrote:

I'd just like to chime in with some 16-50 PZ thoughts as I recently acquired it for my 5N.

After having read many reviews on the lens, I knew that it had some issues so I had to see it for myself. I ordered it new and tried it out with a variety of shots around the house and outside. Comparing it with "identical" shots with the 18-55 I confirmed for myself what many others had said: from 20-50 it's fine and comparable with the kit from probably f/8 and up. But below 20 and and closer to f/5.6, the 18-55 really is a bit better to my eyes.

Now, while I do care a great deal about IQ, I also care a lot about compactness and ease of travel. I sold my full size Pentax DSLR kit to go with the 5N and enjoyed the jacket-pocketable size of the 5N with the Sigma 30. So the smallness of the 16-50 does weigh into consideration.

But it truly nagged on me to pay $400 CDN for this lens. So I was pleased to find a second-hand seller offering it for $200. $200 is a price tag that I am much happier to accept.

In the weeks since I've come to appreciate it and accept the lens for what I use it for. A portable camera that takes good jpgs, as long as I can use f/8 and up. Due to its small size I can also now accommodate it in my camera bag horizontally, so I can leave the flash unit attached (very handy).

This lens is clearly not going to be for everyone, but it does exactly what I need/want it to do.

Sample shot, straight out of the camera JPG.

This shot is great. Love the clouds. I find the 16-50PZ to be perfectly fine, even at apertures below f8. Your shot is a nice example. With a bit of PP, your shot is even more dramatic (in my opinion). Hope you don't mind.

rogatsby's gear list:rogatsby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow