Forum ProPosts: 15,432
Like?
Still fine
In reply to Press Correspondent, Aug 11, 2013

Press Correspondent wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Back to your specific points of difficulty with my statements. I say that the resolution of 5D3 is marginal, because at 22 mp it only marginally exceeds the upper range of the Image Domain of 20 megapixels only by 10%.

And there lies the problem with trying to use IR many circumstances...the 20mp limit is somewhat arbitrary/subjective and relies upon assumptions that only apply in very limited scenerios of viewing.

While this is more than sufficient in itself, it may drop in some cases, such as high ISO, and get below the Image Domain range. Finally, I say that 18 megapixels are sufficient in 99% of all cases is in reference to the Image Domain, which is 16 mp +/- 25% with 20 mp covering beyond most extreme cases while 18 mp covers all, but only a few most extreme cases.

Yes, a very limited range so not very useful in many discussions that fall outside the limited application range where IR might apply.

In turn, your "stretch" comment shows that you still struggle with the concept and keep referring to irrelevant visual details outside of the Inage Domain. Example: popular gigabit city panoramas. Clearly, 20 mp is not enough for these,...

Agreed, one of the many examples where IR really isn't relevant nor even hold up. Too many here simply do not limit themselves to the very narrow viewing distance/scenario where IR holds up. People keep crossing the ropes to get a better look.

OK, Mako. Since you seem to be the only one who still does not get the Image Domain idea and since I already have gone a few extra miles trying to explain it to you at length, I give up.

You did a very good job explaining it in the past. Understanding the concept was never an issue. I think the only issue might be you don't realize under what viewing scenarios it doesn't really hold up or stay relevant to the discussion. For the times you apply it, certain specific image viewing conditions, it holds up pretty well. In the case here, when examining images closely, it simply doesn't and reiterating the concept may have been OT.

Otherwise, please feel free to move on thinking that "you got it" and "it is limited"

Pretty simple to understand as well as it's limited nature of application regards ID (applying it in a "domain" it doesn't really reside). I don't see why you would take issue with that. I think you thought extra description was needed when none was. Never hurts though and you did a fine job expanding on when it might be relevant. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Thank you for your kind words, but I did not deserve them.

You do a good job

If I explained better you would get that the concept covers all Artistic Photography and does not depend on viewing conditions.

I never thought that the case. In fact, have pointed out many times how it only applies to a very select set of viewing conditions and photographic examinations. Your explanations do well to make that clear. No disagreement.

Unfortunately my explanations only deeper convinced you in thinking of the concept what it is not.

Only with regards to some of the cases you apply it...not the specifics of the concept. It is a subjective concept after all. A very useful way of looking at certain cases at times. Well done.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow