Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
technotic
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
Re: More than necessary...
In reply to chi, Aug 11, 2013

chi wrote:

You can get by with the i5 version easily. Like mentioned 16gb is too much, you only need 8gb at the most.

Currently, I have a iMac i5 however, I still own a Core 2 Duo laptop to connect to my TV as a media box. The Core 2 Duo with 4gb RAM runs CS6 easily. I have a Seagate momentus hybrid drive with 32gb Flash and 750gb hard drive. I also downloaded an ISO image of Windows 7 Ultimate last night for bootcamp.

I was all set to get a Mac Mini from an Apple Store but I tried one and it seemed very sluggish running Aperture. It was the 2.3GHz model with 4GB RAM and 1TB HD. It was connected to the 27" Cinema display. I tested it on a sample image the Apple Store has in Aperture. I was shocked how slow it appeared to be. I tried the same image on the i5 21" iMac and it was much faster. Even the 4GB 13" MacBook Air was faster. Opening Aperture took several seconds. Opening the sample image took several seconds before the whirly progress thing stopped. Switching tabs even was sluggish. Adding Edge Sharpen and dragging the slider did not update the image realtime. I rebooted it but it was still not exactly fast although a bit better. Was there an issue with this particular machine do you think? Or does it need 8GB and an SSD before it starts to run acceptably? I don't use Aperture any more (moved to Lightroom) so perhaps it's the graphics hardware that was limiting it (doesn't explain why the Air was OK speedwise but was it the SSD that compensated). Now I don't know what to do as I don't want another iMac as I have limited space and I wanted a machine connected to an Eizo monitor so thought the Mac Mini would be the best solution.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow