Why Are Pentax with Prime Selection Grabbing Some of Mirrorless Market?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard Frederick
Regular MemberPosts: 381
Like?
Re: Why Are Pentax with Prime Selection Grabbing Some of Mirrorless Market?
In reply to REShultz, Aug 11, 2013

For years I had been a Nikon 35mm film camera user along with a Pentax 67.  Before Nikon produced an affordable DSLR that could use my stock of Nikon lenses, I asked (on one of the dpreview forums) if anyone made a relatively small DSLR with a decent viewfinder.

The best suggestion I got was to look at Pentax and I did get a Pentax *ist DS, I believe.  This was truly a little gem of a camera, and I handed it on to a relative only when Nikon produced its D200.

I have always held the Pentax brand with respect and have always liked their cameras which seemed to have kept the photographers (you know, the people who actually take pictures) foremost in their designs.

Not too long ago I purchased a Ricoh GXR, a mirror-less interchangeable lens system (now discontinued).  This is also a superbly designed, engineered, and built camera (now discontinued).  I can't think of a better owner of the Pentax brand then Ricoh, and I hope they keep up the good work.

The best (or better) products don't always make it, the VHS-Betamax being the classic example.  Marketing, luck, momentum, and the herd instinct play a big role.

-- hide signature --

Dick Frederick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow