Started Aug 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
James Wu
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Please help verify my reasoning of buying D7100 over D600
Aug 11, 2013

As the title says: I decide to buy a D7100 next week, which raised a sharp debate with my brother, who insist I made a wrong decision and I should go for D600. I showed him the reason but he does not care.

Now I am showing my reasons to you lads. Please help me verify it.

1. My priority shooting target is animal. I love shooting all kinds of small animals like birds, cats, squirrels. And they move fast, to I need a better AF system.

2. My second biggest passion is the mother nature, mountains, forests, sunset sunrise, fields, even the sky.

My reasoning:

I think I need a good AF for reason 1, and a full frame for reason 2.

But: I know D600 produces better image quality than D7100. But to me (amateur), the difference may not be noticeable. I don't shoot a lot under low light. In other words, D7100 produce the quality that is good enough for me, at least for a couple of years.

Furthermore: with a long distance lens like 70-200 2.8 (the FX one), a DX camera uses the center part of it, and the image quality can be gorgeous.

To summarize:  I won't give up too much of image quality for a better AF system. I can thus save some money, and buy the 70 - 200 2.8, which is very expensive.

Am I right?

Please verify and feel free to comment. Thank you all.

Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow