Future transition to mirrorless

Started Aug 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
24hrexposure
Regular MemberPosts: 294Gear list
Like?
Re: Future transition to mirrorless
In reply to ogrec, Aug 11, 2013

ogrec wrote:

So you're saying a completely new mount would be the best solution if we were to see full frame mirrorless cameras?It seems to me Canon invested a lot into EF mount and some of the EF lenses are absolutely spectacular. It would be better for both Canon and consumers, if the switch ever happens, if EF lenses would still be supported. Even if some kind of adapter is necessary, and it seems like Canon is inclined to do just that in case they switch to a new mount, M to EF adapter proves it. But you did rise a valid point why new mount would be better for mirrorless cameras.

I didnt get the reason, though, why ET mount would still be used in telephoto lenses. Couldnt they also be made smaller an lighter for mirrorless cameras? I'm asking cause you obviously understand technical aspect of lenses better then i do

Pages 43 & 44 of the lecture notes on optics from the Stanford photography course have diagrams that explain telephoto and wide-angle lenses better than I can. But I'll give it a try.

The basic reason is that in a simple lens, the distance between the glass and the sensor is the focal length. So a 16mm lens would be 16mm from the sensor; clearly not possible with a DSLR. A more complicated combination of lenses is necessary to increase the physical distance without changing the focal length. Allowing the lens to be physically closer to the sensor gives more leeway in the lens design.

For normal and long lenses, the focal length is much greater than the flange distance, and it's less likely that a useful lens design would benefit from the extra space.

24hrexposure's gear list:24hrexposure's gear list
Gimp +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow