Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Lmendy
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report
In reply to dan801, 11 months ago

We live in a remarkable time.  I remember when zooms truly sucked.  My father bought one of the first Nikon zooms, the 43-86 Nikkor.  Big, heavy, ugly with horrible results.  In those days, the optical engineers designed lenses by hand and did the calculations with a slide rule.  Now, they are able to design optical marvels and compensate for the flaws by creating cameras that take care of distortion, CAs, vignetting etc in camera.

The 16-50 is incredible.  They built a lens almost the size and weight of a small pancake lens and gave it a range of 24-75.  Nothing else comes close to that.  I can take an image as good as any lens on the market with good technique.  I can travel anywhere with a camera and lens combination in size and weight that was virtually unknown only a few years ago.

The 16-50 is no better nor worse then any other average kit lens.  With good technique, composition and lighting, it is capable of incredible image.  Do not sell this lens short.  For what it does and what it is, it is darn near perfection.

Lmendy's gear list:Lmendy's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X-E2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow