Future transition to mirrorless

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Axford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
Re: Future transition to mirrorless
In reply to ogrec, 11 months ago

ogrec wrote:

I'd like you to share your thoughts on what might happen to lenses now available if the transition happens sometime in the future. Canon once designed a completely new mount which made a lot of people angry. Do you think history will repeat itself or that they'll keep EF mount and lens design we have today? Right now i see no reason not to keep EF, even if DSLRs become think of the past, but i dont know much about technology behind it.

Canon will not replace the EF mount unless there is a very good reason, because, as you say, it would make a lot of existing Canon users very angry because they would need to replace all their existing lenses.

I can't see any reason good enough to get them to introduce a replacement for EF in the foreseeable future, but it is always rash trying to predict too far ahead. If we look at history, Canon have had quite a large number of different lens mounts in the past 70 years: S, R, FL, FD and EF. Even now, the EF mount is really a family of mounts in that not every lens is usable on every camera body (although it may be physically possible to mount it). I think Canon is much more likely to extend that idea as far as it can before replacing the EF mount with something completely new.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow