If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,706
Like?
Re: If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?
In reply to glacierpete, Aug 11, 2013

glacierpete wrote:

The professional film format for decades used to be 6x6 (Hasselblad) or 6x7 medium format or 4x5 large format. These formats are great for people, wedding, advertising, editorial, stock, or landscape etc.

The 24x36mm small film format was always considered a bit longish and results from Oskar Barnak cutting movie film rolls for the Leica.

The longish 2:3 or 24x36 in a digital world puts a lot of stress on the outer area of lenses and needs a very good micro lens on the sensor. Sony managed that with it's Nex5n but blew it with the Nex7.

A good proportion would one that matches the A paper sizes.

On the other hand, many people now view their photos on computer monitors or TVs with various wide screen shapes, longer than 2:3.

I do have my doubts that a Sony 24x36mm sensor will work with most of existing wide anlge range finder lenses. It does not make a lot of sense for me to put a big DSLR lens and adapter on a small system camera.

SLR lenses with manual focus and aperture rings work best on the NEX series. Size is not important in practice. DSLR lenses with electronic controls are more trouble than they are worth, in my opinion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow