Started Aug 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ogrec
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Future transition to mirrorless
Aug 11, 2013

The thread is about possible future transition to mirrorless by professional photographers and how lenses we currently have fit into that transition.

Right now mirrorless cameras have many drawbacks and are not taken seriously (apart from M9 and perhaps X-Pro 1). But with progress in technology its possible that drawbacks are solved and mirrorless becomes as good or even better then DLRs. I know a lot of people have strong opinions on the matter of mirrorless cameras, but lets try not to get them involved here too much.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:
- Canon will not design a new mount if mirrorless becomes a professional choice, they'll just make 1D series sized mirrorless bodies with EF mount, maybe slightly smaller and lighter, but roughly the same size for easier handling and better grip then small cameras have
- crop-sensor bodies will become noticeably smaller and lighter (except for the grip, again), but not nearly as small as eos M. 7D series will be the only exception and will retain larger size. Crop bodies will, however, use canon eos M mount; EF and EF-s mount will still be supported trough M to EF adapter, but no new EF-s lenses will be produced.
- i personally would not mind this kind of change as long as pro-bodies remain the same size, and mid-range/entry level bodies become more portable and have smaller lenses.

I'd like you to share your thoughts on what might happen to lenses now available if the transition happens sometime in the future. Canon once designed a completely new mount which made a lot of people angry. Do you think history will repeat itself or that they'll keep EF mount and lens design we have today? Right now i see no reason not to keep EF, even if DSLRs become think of the past, but i dont know much about technology behind it.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow