Started Aug 11, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richteed
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
DSLR Killer??
Aug 11, 2013

I've been using this for a year now and hardly picked up my DSLR in that time.  In fact, I'm thinking of selling it to fund a VF2 viewfinder for this camera.  It takes all of my pentax primes and my lensbaby with a £5 adapter and the excellent kit zooms with the camera give me 28-300mm (35mm equiv) to a very high standard and virtually no weight.  It really is a "take anywhere" camera.

The flip-up/down screen really is what makes this camera so useable - I shoot like its a TLR mostly, looking down to the flipped up screen - more stable than holding in front of your face and great for kid-level photos and shooting from the hip.

The picture quality is great up to ISO 1600 and this is where I set the auto ISO cut-off.  One oddity is that the JPEG picture quality is not set at the finest in the factory settings. You have to go into the menus to find the super fine setting, but its a once-only operation .. no point changing this once set.  Olympus reputation for JPEG quality is justified - many shots require no post-processing at all.

A few things could be improved to make this a perfect camera for me though:

-  No option for a wireless remote is a real drawback

-  Bulb setting is limited to 30 minutes and long night exposures can be a bit noisy.

- Bracketing function is superb but buried in the menu system.  It should be easier to set in a hurry.

- No accessory port for a 3rd part microphone - this would complement the superb HD video

- Weather sealing would be nice

richteed's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow