Why Are Pentax with Prime Selection Grabbing Some of Mirrorless Market?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,644Gear list
Like?
Re: The problems as I see it.... Pentax, or is it Ricoh
In reply to Rod McD, Aug 11, 2013

I had a great big long post written to answer this but it was eaten by the internet. But the gist of it was that I didn't buy the K-30 because I wanted a DSLR and a path to FF pro/advanced amateur nirvana. I was just looking for a better camera than my point and shoot ( or my iPod camera, which actually takes better pictures), for blogging, making references for drawing and painting, and my own amusement. I expected to buy an advanced compact or some kind of mirrorless camera, but none of them matched the combination of desirable focal lengths, large sensor, and optical viewfinder that I found in the K-30, at anything close to the price I paid. (Which was much less than the $570 quoted above, including the weather resistant kit zoom.)

I wasn't looking for a DSLR. If you had asked me when I started shopping I would have said I didn't want one. But the compact/mirrorless market failed to show me what I wanted at at a competitive price, so they lost a customer. (Admittedly, we are talking about a customer who already loves the Pentax brand and has a cupboard full of classic lenses ready to play with, but even so, I would have preferred a smaller camera.)

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow