Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jpark1982
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
I may be rethinking my GX7 preorder
11 months ago

Not that I'm going to cancel it but it may not be the end all solution that I was hoping. Obviously none of us know until there are production copies out and we get to use them ourselves. I'll be honest when I read the specs, saw the initial photos, and read all the positive response I fell too. It seemed to be perfect for me, a built-in viewfinder, built-in stabilization, effective focus peaking, 1/8000 shutter, etc. The more I read about it, the more I wanted it. It seemed like it would be the much sought after perfect camera for me.  I brushed off the first image tests as they were based off a pre-production model. No IS in video, oh well. No OLED in the viewfinder, its ok other hands on reviews said it was still a good viewfinder. But one of the latest hands on that I read intrigued me. Again this is just for me and again I won't make a decision until I try one myself.

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/08/09/a-first-look-at-the-panasonic-lumix-gx7-in-bristol/

After reading this, my expectations are lowered.

The spec that seems to get everyones attemtion is the built in EVF.  Obviously That's just one website and the page itself is not edited right since the pictures are rotated about 90 degrees.  But their report on the viewfinder as compared to the detachable one on the EP-5 does make me wonder.  How good does a viewfinder have to be to be a make or break decision?  I mean the viewfinder on the XE-1 was one of the reasons I returned it, the refresh rate was way too slow.  If the GX7's EVF is subpar, at least compared to the VF-4 and the difference is noticeable, would it be a decision changer?  I do like that its not detachable but at least for me, I would like a grear EVF thats detachable over one thats built in and subpar.  I want to see if the GX7 is good enough for me.  If the viewfinder is ok, but not great would we still be making a huge deal about its inclusion?

Also the IS.  The 2nd big spec that everyone is hyped about.  We know that it doesn't work for video.  We know that its not game changing like the 5-axis one in the OMD.  But again that website above shows it being not even being overalls effective.  Any IBIS is better than none i suppose but similar to the EVF if its included but not overally effective, is it as big a deal as we make it out to be?

Again I am 99% sure I will still keep my Preorder for the GX7, being the addict that I am I want to make my own decision.  But I may lower my expectations a little just so I'm not disappointed if it doesn't live up to my high expectations.  IQ can't be known fully until we get a full production model with proper RAW support, but the EVF and IS are not something firmware can fix.  All this means is that I'll probably get the EP-5 with EVF and use that in the interim until the GX7 is available.  And I'm not saying the EP-5 is better, it has its issues too (small grip that's not detachable, flash that pops up too easily, mediocre time lapse feature, overly complicated menus, Wifi seems overly simplitic, etc) but many positives as well (5-axis IS tht works in video, supposedly best in class EVF, etc).

i guess the point of this post is again there's no such thing as a perfect camera, you just have to find out that the compromises you make you can live with.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow