There's something about the Cream Machine...

Started Aug 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,761
Like?
Re: I'm with Ray on this one
In reply to Uncle Frank, Aug 11, 2013

I wasn't offended by the original post. I simply didn't think your sample image was large enough to show the point you were trying to make, especially since you didn't post any comparison.

Your opening quote in the OP was "The G model is fine tuned for digital, but the 85/1.4D paints with a vintage brush that delights my Old School sensibilities." I would disagree with the interpretation that the 85 f/1.4G is "fine tuned for digital" - I simply think it's an improved design. But if your point has to do with the rendition of the D being gentler on skin, then I would expect the sample to be large enough to see skin detail, which in my opinion it was not. My guess is that even my 24-85VR would give a similar-looking result at that size under the same lighting conditions - though I'd never argue the zoom is "better" for portrait shooting.

Nothing much more intended on my part - certainly nothing snarky. If you honestly prefer the older lens, that's fine by me.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow