Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,907
Like?
Re: I'm not sure I agree
In reply to Mateo Miller, Aug 10, 2013

Mateo Miller wrote:

Testing to try to force migration (repeated reads of the same files, repeated real world batch processing of image files, etc) did not result in any migration of those files even after many reads and even after giving the system hours to think about it.

Apple says: "Fusion Drive automatically and dynamically moves frequently used files to Flash storage for quicker access, while infrequently used items move to the hard disk."  They make no claim that you can choose which frequently used files get chosen to be on Flash.

Apple - Mac mini (Lae 2012) and iMac (Late 2012): About Fusion Drive

Basalite wrote:

I have yet to run into any of my image files, for example, that I have been working on recently that was then being accessed on the hard drive side of my Fusion Drive. How can I tell? Many of my images files are around 120-180MB in size. I can easily tell.

I'm not sure how one can tell where a file resides just because of its size. In addition the "Fusion Drive" presents itself as one drive which would also make it difficult to discern whether the file is residing on the SSD or the HD, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

If you couldn't tell any difference between reading a file off a SSD and reading it off a HDD, what advantage would there be to an expensive SSD?  Other than physical shock resistance?

I think he's saying that if he read these large files off the HDD, it would take longer; enough longer that he would notice it.  Now whether this experiment is valid does depend on several things, like whether the application is rapidly reading through the whole file, whether bits of the file have been previously cached in RAM, and whether the file is being pulled into memory using virtual memory mapping tricks (that might defer some of the actual SSD or HDD reads until later).

Can be partitioned: He says only "one partition, Fusion benefits are lost on the 2nd partition." That is incorrect or otherwise you wouldn't be able to run Windows in Boot Camp.

It is correct.  Apple's own FAQ says that you can create one additional partition on the HDD – but that this partition is not part of the Fusion Drive.  The Fusion is between the first partition and the SSD.

The reason you can run Windows in Boot Camp is precisely because the Boot Camp partition isn't part of the Fusion Drive.  When Windows is in control, there is no Fusion Drive software to create the logical Fusion Drive volume out of separate SSD and HDD volumes.  So the best that you can hope for is that it will leave the Fusion Drive SSD and Fusion Drive HDD partition alone.

Special Disk Utility needed?: He says "YES (“earlier versions cannot be used”)" I say so? It comes with the Mac.

Already addressed above

Apple makes a point of saying "The version of Disk Utility that comes with Fusion Drive is unique.  Earlier versions of Disk Utility can't be used with a Fusion Drive."  digilloyd isn't exactly telling us some deep, dark secret by relaying the information.

It's easy to see why Apple is saying this.  The Fusion Drive is new.  There may be something extra in creating and maintaining the integrity of a Fusion Drive volume – above and beyond the things involved in creating and maintaining the integrity of its sub-volumes.  If you have a Fusion Drive, you don't want anything that is clueless about Fusion Drives doing anything that might endanger the Fusion Drive's integrity.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow