Want to buy a phone for camera..

Started Aug 8, 2013 | Questions thread
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,579Gear list
Like?
Re: iPhone and file formats
In reply to Alupang, Aug 10, 2013

OK, let's say I take a photo with an app - it will have gone through one round of JPG compression. Then:

1. I adjust the brightness and save the file.

2. Later, I open the brightness-adjusted file, crop the image, and save it under a new name.

3. Later, I open the cropped image and adjust the color saturation and save it.

If each save was done with a loss-less format, such as TIF, I'll only have the initial JPG compression artifacts. But if I saved as JPG each time, I'd have at least two extra cycles of JPG compression, which would degrade the image.

Personally, I'd avoid most of the above by just saving the image initially on the phone and then moving it to my PC to edit in PhotoShop. BUT, if you're going to do multiple edit cycles on a phone/tablet then saving as TIF is an advantage - assuming you have enough space (at 20 MB per image, you need a lot of memory if you often edit on the device).

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
808New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow