Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220Gear list
Like?
Shiiiiit !
Aug 10, 2013

Yesterday, I picked up an empty glass of water that one of the kids left on coffee table.... Except it wasn't empty. A little bit of water spilled on the back and bottom of my F3. This happened to me a few times before with supposedly non weather sealed Canon, without any problems. So I took battery and SD out, wiped out wet spots, made sure everything worked, and packed for our Chicago trip for the weekend. I took Sigma 19 as my main lens, Sigma 30 just because I don't use it often, and at the last moment grabbed Minolta MD 50/1.7 just in case.

While waiting for the bus, I take the camera out and the lens doesn't register - no AF, no aperture. Switch to another prime, same thing. Can't even use them wide open in manual because of Sigma's focus by wire design. Liuckily I have the 50 although it's going to be too tight for city shots.

If I am lucky, it's just some moisture between the contacts. If not, the contacts to the lens are fried. I pulled everything out, took the lens off, raised the LCD, will see if it dries out. If not, will get it in a bag of rice back home. If this doesn't work, I guess the only solution is to use it with manual glass and look for a replacement.

My fault of course, but it does seem too delicate for a camera. I had much worse spills on my Canon DSLRs, neither of which were weather proof.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow