Want to buy a phone for camera..

Started Aug 8, 2013 | Questions thread
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,579Gear list
Like?
Re: iPhone
In reply to Hulamike, Aug 10, 2013

I did some searching and couldn't find anything that said that the app could access the unprocessed data from the camera. I did find this in DPREVIEW's review:

While you can export the TIFF to your Camera Roll at any time, in order to get the full size file, you have to access it through iTunes when your iPhone is plugged into your computer. The files are huge (mine were all at least 20MB), but their overall pixel count was no better than the maximum-quality JPEG output. When I brought the photos up in Photoshop and performed identical basic editing (levels and color balance), the photos performed exactly the same. It made me wonder if there is really much of a difference at all. Other than file size, how different are the max-quality JPEG and TIFF?

So, it suggests that the app can't access unprocessed data - as I would expect because most phone camera modules do the processing internally (in firmware) so that there is less load on the phone's processor/memory.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
808New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow