Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: care to elaborate?
In reply to Mateo Miller, Aug 10, 2013

Mateo Miller wrote:

No, he is biased towards another solution. Much of his information is simply wrong.

I would be interested in what information he got wrong.

Lloyd Chambers has a pretty good reputation.

thanks

Cost: First off, it's an apples to oranges comparison which is not very helpful on its own. Comparing a self install to a factory install for the vast majority of computer users is also useless. Going the separate SSD and HD option entails manual and active management on the user's part. Again, for the vast majority of users the Fusion Drive option is obviously the more attractive option.

Options: he says none but there is a 1 and 3 TB Fusion Drive.

Guaranteed speed for critical tasks: First off, lets dismiss this "guaranteed speed" speed nonsense for even with an SSD there is no guarantee of any particular speed. What should matter with the Fusion Drive is real life performance and real life performance shows commonly accessed files reside on the SSD of the Fusion Drive, as expected. I have yet to run into any of my image files, for example, that I have been working on recently that was then being accessed on the hard drive side of my Fusion Drive. How can I tell? Many of my images files are around 120-180MB in size. I can easily tell.

Separate Boot drive: I know of no reason why you couldn't use another drive to boot from with a Fusion Drive equipped Mac. None at all.

Internal clone and Internal Time Machine: Beats the heck out of me what he is referring to except that maybe somehow he is expecting the drives to function as separate drives when the Fusion Drive is obviously not designed for that.

Upgradeable SSD: He says no but yet the Fusion Drive equipped Mac minis, for example, use a standard 2.5" SSD that can be easily swapped. In fact, there are people out there that have installed 256GB SSDs in their 2012 Mac minis and Disk Utility automatically created a Fusion Drive for them with the xisting 1TB HD. The iMacs use a blade type SSD which presents a bigger challenge but aftermarket sources such as OWC have provided higher capacity SSDs of that style for the MacBook Air.

Upgradeable HDD: He says no but its no more difficult than simply swapping out the same HD in his preferred configuration and letting Disk Utility recreate the Fusion Drive. Plenty of people have already done this.

Works with disk repair tools: He says "Maybe, maybe not (according to Apple)" and yet dismisses the very good one that already comes with all Macs, Disk Utility. It's also odd to note something like this assuming that third party developers will not be presenting their own tools. It's a fleeting argument, at best.

Reliability: Already addressed in my previous post.

Serviceable by user: He says "Considerable “nerd” skill required to deal with Fusion volume setup (if failure)" Nonsense. Disk Utility does it automatically.

Can be partitioned: He says only "one partition, Fusion benefits are lost on the 2nd partition." That is incorrect or otherwise you wouldn't be able to run Windows in Boot Camp. It has also been shown that an SSD previously configured with a partition, for say Windows, prior to creating a Fusion drive will retain that partition and it will take advantage of the SSD speed since that it is residing on the SSD. What about a Mac that already has a factory Fusion Drive already installed and configured? Easy, you can unfuse the Fusion Drive and do the above. Both operations can be done in minutes in Terminal.

Special Disk Utility needed?: He says "YES (“earlier versions cannot be used”)" I say so? It comes with the Mac.

Extra disk activity and thus increased noise and power consumption?: He says "YES— when files are moved around in the background," I say so? Fusion Drives are only equipped in desktop Macs which have no "power consumption" restrictions such as a laptop. You are also benefiting from the automated functionality of the Fusion Drive which is the whole point. Noise? It's remarks like that that to me show a bias for his preferred configuration. The fact is, the Mac mini and iMac hard drives are essentially silent and have been for some time now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow