iMac Set Up for Video and Photography

Started Aug 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: iMac Set Up for Video and Photography
In reply to MarceloLI, Aug 10, 2013

MarceloLI wrote:

I'm a photographer that use PC for the last 10 years and I am going to start doing video.

My PC needs an update but I'm thinking to move to Apple.

Just two questions I need answer for you guys:

1. What do you think about this configuration for video editing:

-iMac Retina Display 27-inch:

-3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

-32GB SDRAM

-3TB Fusion Drive

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR52.

Do you think is worth to upgrade to 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz for $200

What do you think about the Apple USB SuperDrive? It is worth it for $80 or just buy another brand?

I'm planing to use Photoshop CS 6, Final Cut, Lightroom and some plug ins compatible with PSCS6.

Thank you so much for your time and advice.

Marcelo

Looks fine but I don't see the point of maxing out every 27" iMac configuration option and not doing the same for the CPU. Yes, it is most definitely worth the upgrade to the 3.4 i7 cpu for what you want to do.

Do the ugrade of the RAM yourself and you'll save a lot.

I recommend a compact Blu-Ray burner for the same price as Apple's SuperDrive. I use this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-XD04-Portable-CyberLink-software/dp/B007WLRIM8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1376111819&sr=8-11&keywords=slim+bluray+burner

and here are others

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_11/180-7444587-2584133?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=slim+bluray+burner&sprefix=Slim+bluray%2Caps%2C375

One last thing, the iMacs are closing in on the upgrade cycle. They were delayed last year due to production issues with the new display used so it is possible that you may see them updated earlier in September or October. May be worth waiting, although now is a great time to get a big savings on a refurbished iMac.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow