Want to buy a phone for camera..

Started Aug 8, 2013 | Questions thread
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,528Gear list
Like?
Re: iPhone
In reply to Hulamike, Aug 9, 2013

Hulamike wrote:

Why settle for one? With iPhone you get access to the App Store and dozens of camera apps that are all better than the one Apple gives you. I like 645Pro MK II which produces a 23 meg lossless TIFF if you like. I print them big all the time.

Does Nokia even have an App Store? Seriously, I don't know. What I do know is that I'd sure hate being stuck with whatever camera some nerdy phone engineer thought was cool. With iPhone you can pick and choose for around $1.50 a pop. Only way to go IMHO.

I agree that the iPhone is a decent camera. But it is still a SINGLE camera. Yes, you can get many apps to process the captured image, as you can on Android phones (like the S4) and Windows phones (like the Nokia) - or you can just take the image out of the phone and process it on a computer.

So, for anyone looking for a relatively small phone with a decent camera, the iPhone is certainly worth considering. But it is still a single camera. Now, I don't know how many phone cameras allow apps to access the non-compressed image directly from the sensor - does the 645Pro app actually work with the non-compressed data, or does it receive the compressed file but give you the option of saving the edited image in an uncompressed format? (The latter reduces one level of compression artifacts but doesn't remove the initial ones created when the image is captured.)

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
808New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow