Veteran MemberPosts: 3,339Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon
In reply to Jim in Hudson, Aug 9, 2013

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Unexpresivecanvas wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Unexpresivecanvas wrote:

But at the same time, Canon will release the 70D which a lot of analyst anticipate it will become the true benchmark for aps-c sized sensors. if your needs are accurate and fast auto-focusing, you better wait for the next generation of Pentax or stay with the 60D. But again, recommending a 60D is asking you to make decisions looking at the past

Who knows, maybe the new Pentax (k-3) willl be a breakthrough. But also the canon 70D is anticipated to be an outstanding camera for those who can't leave aps-c

Who are these analysts that are anticipating the 70D's sensor will become a new benchmark? I've not seen any such talk unless the question is narrowed way down to on-sensor PDAF (which Fujifilm already has). It's rather common knowledge that Canon's APS-C sensors have lagged considerably behind what Nikon and Pentax have been using for 3 years, especially when it comes to dynamic range. Until real test data comes out on the 70D, it would be a mistake IMHO to a believe it will become some kind of new standard.

Jim, do you have proof on the contrary?

LOL !! That's the common retort when someone points out an unsupportable proclamation.

How can I or anyone "prove" the 70D sensor won't be the best thing since sliced bread? I can't, obviously, since no one outside of Canon has ever put their hands on it. All I can do is point out the comparatively lousy DXOMark dynamic range test results for about every Canon sensor made in the past 3 to 5 years. They have a lot of ground to make up before they can even attempt to leapfrog Nikon and Pentax.

Hello, Jim;

DPReview uploaded sample images for the 70D few days ago; not nearly enough for a complete evaluation but better than nothing. I couldn't see anything that would make it a "benchmark" of some sort. Maybe it's something else? But what could it be?

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
70DNew
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow